Empower your team members to stay engaged.
When it comes to employee engagement, I have a few strong feelings:
First, individuals need to play a leading role in their own happiness and development. Companies should do everything in their power to support these team members - but at the end of the day, it's up to the individual to lean in.
Second, every single person on your team is facing a different set of circumstances:
- Goals, values, and motivators
- Experiences and perspectives from prior jobs (that cause them to think differently about their role)
- Expectations around basically everything
- Obstacles and limitations (real or perceived) that are slowing them down
- Communication styles, work styles and feedback styles
- Mindset around learning and development
How would a one-size-fits-all approach work within this setting? The answer: it doesn't. And it hasn't for decades.
Instead, we should be empowering individuals to take the lead on creating a custom plan for themselves (in partnership with their manager, coworkers and HRBP) and then continuing to take the lead on the execution of that plan.
If your team members don't have access to weekly 1:1 coaching (not to be confused with mentorship or performance check-ins) to help them overcome obstacles, seize opportunities, and take the lead on their own development, they're missing out.
- Scalable (particularly with solutions like ours)
- A great investment for personal and professional growth.
Teams who offer coaching notice increased confidence, increased responsibility, and increased team productivity.
More than that - when you offer coaching to your team members, they feel like you're investing in their future - both within the organization and long after they leave.
We have a few free resources to help your team members take the lead on their own development:
- Marlow Podcast: We interview leaders, people management experts, and more.
- Daily Challenge Email: Short tips, tricks and career hacks pushed to you daily)
- Management Series: Two times a month, we send out a free training email for people managers. You can read more here.
We're helping companies empower their team members. If this sounds interesting, reply and we can find a good time to speak.